Sunday, February 10, 2008

Graduation Day

Today was the last day of our drawing class at LACMA. For our last assignment, our instructor David Schoffman, gave us a commentative tour of the surrealist artwork on the plaza level at LACMA. A couple of us students suggested that he start his own podcast with his opinions of the art in the museum. His opinions, explanations, and descriptions are so eye opening that you really feel "you get it" when he's done explaining the artwork on the wall. I've definitely learned more about art in the last 5 weeks in his class then whatever exposure I've had from museums or art classes up until now.

We were told to pick a Matisse sculpture to draw. There was a row of Jeanette sculptures, I through V:
Here were 4 of the 5 choices from my point of view from where I was sitting:

Cary and I picked Jeanette III below.Here's a shot of my drawing. The pictures aren't great because I didn't want to use flash and disturb everyone. I'm not even sure if I can use flash. Again, sorry for the lousy photograph.Here's a picture of Cary from where I was sitting. He got a number of compliments on his drawing today. A big one from David too. This was tough because we've been drawing sculptures of bodies and faces for 4 weeks, and drawing surrealist images was a big leap. Especially since it was bronze. Your brain sort of tells you to draw the hair a darker color than the face, even though the whole thing is the same bronze color. You have to let go of what your brain is telling your eyes. It's a really great exercise. The 2 1/2 hours always flies by.

We decided to become members of LACMA so we can practice drawing in the museum anytime and we can be part of events that they have. It's only $95 for 2 people for the basic membership. We might upgrade and get the Muse membership.

To find out more go to http://www.lacma.org/ .

I feel like such a grown up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have taken two nude drawing classes in my day...one in la at the Art School up on LIncoln, its famous but I forgot the name...I love nude drawing, except when they brought in this obese woman and her butt was facing my way during most of the poses...nasty!