Its on the pricier side, but the food is well worth it. There is none of that typical Los Angeles pretension from the host and hostess, waiters, or chef. Everyone is super nice, warm, welcoming, and hard working.
The first time we dined at The Foundry, we sat in the covered patio area in the back. I had the short rib and skirt steak. Cary had the tuna. Everything was really good, but the short rib...oh mama! I would use a bar of short rib in place of my soap the next time I bathe, but then I would smell of meat and that's pointless.
When we went Friday night, we didn't have reservations and the host (could have been owner too), was really nice about letting us know that we could sit in the lounge area and have drinks and appetizers while we waited. They have a live jazz band playing on Friday and Saturday nights. So we sat in front of the stand up bassist while he warmed up.
We got the tots and the lobster pierogi for appetizers because we thought the wait was going to be 20+ minutes long and we were starving. Our wait ended up being less than 10 minutes and our food was brought to our table with no complication. The tots were so freaking good! They were like little balls of creamy mashed potatoes that have been briefly dropped in a deep fryer and fished out with perfect timing. Here is the only picture I took.

The lobster pierogies weren't really pierogies, but kind of like wontons. I wasn't as impressed with those. The sauces that came with both of them were good enough to eat with a spoon. I wish I remembered what they were. I think one was a lavender mustard, an apple sauce of sorts, and crème fraiche. Sorry, not the best factual reporting. Sometimes when its so yummy, I want to just not pay attention and eat, ya know?
This night, we sat in front of the kitchen. Which turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. It was like we got a show with our meal. The head chef (and possibly owner), Eric was yelling up a storm about something to all of the other chefs/cooks/apprentices in the kitchen. I mean YELLING.
"Did you plate the shorties?! The shorties! The f*&#ing shorties!" (I think he was talking about the short ribs)
"...f*&#ing John Dory..." some more "...f*&#ing... John Dory ..." Lots of F-bombs. As it turned out, they ran out of John Dory, which is the first item on the menu I think. It wasn't a big deal to us, but it was a HUGE deal to Eric.
There is a row of tables directly in front of the kitchen, so there was no hiding that something was going on. It was like an SNL skit. Some of the servers and the hosts crowded around the counter in front of the kitchen looking very serious, but when they turned around with smirks on their faces, you could tell that this was not out of the ordinary and could be appreciated for every ounce of its comic value.
Our waiter told us this happens all the time, and when its done, no feelings are hurt and everyone goes back to normal the next day. It was actually a really nice way to meet the people sitting next to you and chat. Which we did.
I got the duck which came with a chestnut puree and roasted chestnuts (yummy!) and bits of smoky bacon. I didn't take pictures because sometimes you just want to eat your food and not have to worry about digging out the camera and if the flash is going to disturb the people around you. Cary got the stripped bass that had calamari, mussels, and some sort of a frothy emulsion plated with it. The food is just good man.
Soon after Eric, the head chef, came out talked to different customers and asked how they liked their food. I told him we loved our food and thank you and that we would be back. So when we left the restaurant and were waiting for our car, Eric came outside and asked us where we lived and if we've been there before and explained that the menu is always changing. He said he lived around the corner, but you could tell he has some sort of NYC/Brooklyn toughness in him. Also, he/they/The Foundry had bought the space next door and were planning on turning it into a sake bar just in time for spring so the weather will be warm and you can sit outside and enjoy sake.
I like this place because even though it would qualify as a fancy or fancier restaurant, there is definitely a comfortable feel and no stuffiness. And you can tell that they are really trying hard to make this a special place. They don't treat you like you need to feel honored for being there. The place is packed, and they still want to try get you in even though we didn't bother to make reservation. The fact that the host asks your name and introduces himself and establishes a relationship with you, really enhances the experience. It is pricier (though I wouldn't call it pricey), but for the quality of food, the location, the warm and knowledgeable service, its totally worth it.
You can get directions and check out the menu at http://thefoundryonmelrose.com/
Next time I will order the f*%$ing John Dory.
________
Note: I got Eric's name wrong and corrected it. If there is anything else anyone sees that I should correct, please feel free to let me know in the comment sections. Thankyou.
1 comment:
You write very well.
Post a Comment