Monday, February 22, 2010

Fingers crossed

After another bad night of sleep, Layla "woke up" around 7am. Can you call it waking up if she was fussy for the last 4 hours of sudo-sleep? I passed her off to Cary so I could collect myself after being awake since 3am. Around 8 she got fussy and ready for a nap. So Cary started soothing her. This usually consists of a hug and some rocking, maybe some back patting and some music, usually the humidifier and maybe some white noise like a recording of rainfall. She just wasn't having it though. So he gave her to me because he was late for work. I laid her down in her crib and she was trying to chew on her burp cloth. So for some reason I decided to giver her a light swaddle blanket to sleep with since she was trying to sooth herself with the burp cloth, I thought. She grabs the blanket and snuggles it, and I walk out and leave her but watched her from the door. She magically soothed herself to sleep in no time. Not only that, she took an hour and half nap!!! That never happens!!

I texted Cary twice that she was still sleeping. Of course, I went in and moved the blanket. We've been bombarded with information on SIDS and can't forget that we must keep all blankets out of the crib and not to let them sleep on their tummies. Now that she can flip over, she sleeps on her tummy 90% of the time. At her next doctors appointment I'm going to have to ask if we need to be turned into Child Protective Services for allowing these breach of safety rules. I had errands to run, and dropped dad off at the airport and she napped for another hour+ around 2! She took a really short nap on the drive home around 5:30. Then around 7 I tried to do the same thing that happened this morning. She was fussier, but after some oatmeal and a bath, I nursed her and burped her then put her in her bed and put a blanket over her. She immediately nuzzled the blanket and was super kicky and punchy and not ready to go to bed. So I hummed to her and lightly rubbed her face. She has dry itchy skin on her face so it was soothing. Then I walked out. She cried a little and then just played for 10 minutes and has been asleep for over 2 hours now!

Is this a breakthrough? Has she finally learned how to self soothe? Will mommy get to sleep longer tonight? Stay tuned....same bat time....same bat channel....

Meanwhile, I'm finishing her class Valentine's cards and goody bags. Yeah, I'm over a week late. Better late then never. It's 10:18pm. I'm going to get some shut eye. Wish us luck!

No comments: