The visit started out good. She weighed 11lbs 12 oz ( gained 2 lbs and 10 oz in 1 month), and she is 23 1/2 inches long (she grew 1 1/2 inches in 1 month). She was in the 95 percentile for height for her age and 75 for her weight, so she's doing great growth wise. I knew she must have grown some, but I didn't realize how much. This made me so so happy.
After the doctor examined her, the nurse came in and asked me to hold her while she gave her the shots. I couldn't bring myself to watch, but I know the exact moment that the needle went in. The look on her face and the screams she let out were gut wrenching. I've never felt so bad for her. I spent 1/2 soothing and nursing her before we left the doctor's office. By the time I got to the car she had exhausted herself to sleep. Little did I know the worst was yet to come. Here she is before all hell broke loose...
I got home and she just started wailing. Usually she's consolable, but her pain must have been too much. The place where the shots went in on her little legs were swollen and she was crying so hard that she was getting hotter and sweatier. She wouldn't eat and just seemed in agony, even worst then when we were at the doctor's office. I tried icing her legs, I gave her more baby Tylenol. After an hour I finally called Cary and asked him to come home. She cried for almost 3 hours straight. Even a bath didn't sooth her. Finally she passed out. She slept for something like 6 hours, which she has never done. The most she's slept is 3 1/2 hours straight. She even slept while Cary continued to ice her legs. When she woke up this morning she was ravenously hungry and had forgotten all about what had happened. She was extra smiley and kicky and super talkative with her coos and goos. She has not fever and her legs are back to normal. I think Cary and I are still traumatized.
No comments:
Post a Comment