Saturday, August 15, 2009

Nesting

It's not an urban myth. Nesting is a real and imminent part of pregnancy....for the mommy and daddy both. I've got 1 week and 4 days till my due date. Cary decides yesterday to start painting the baby's room. There was a bit of a battle, but in the end I gave into Cary's nesting needs. He's got good design taste and has bought a bunch of really unique decoration for baby girl's room.
This was taken 10:30 last night. The baby's room isn't anywhere near done. We haven't figured out a final layout for the furniture and haven't put away any of her clothes or things. Her clothes have all been washed,with Dreft, and are sorted into age groups (0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6+months). The bedding has been laundered and even ironed. I would never iron my own bedding- what the hell?

While Cary painted the wall, I lined the dresser drawers with fabric. Why not with contact paper? Because I didn't like the smell of the adhesive and was scared that it would give the baby cancer, or rob her of the new baby smell when all of her clothes smell like contact paper glue. Not only have I lined the inside of the drawers, but I've gone and bought an assortment of cutesy (expensive) knobs for each drawer. I got these from Anthropology:
The lining and knobs will make up about 40% of the cost of the drawer by the time I'm done. It's taken me about 8 hours to do 3 drawers so far, with one to go still. Crazy, you ask? I'd say it's temporary nesting insanity. Did I mention I stripped all the couch cushions and threw the covers in the wash for the first time in the 4 years we've owned this couch. I also bought organic cleaning products so that we are more chemical free in the apartment. But everything I clean with the products smells like patchouli and reminds me of hippies. So I'm not feeling it.
I wake up every single morning around 2-4am. It's driving me nuts. I wake up many other times during the night, but I can usually go back to sleep. I always have trouble going back to sleep at least one time in the night and have to come out to the living room and make myself a cup of cereal and watch TV till I go to sleep. Everyone says it's practice for the late night feedings for baby when she's here.
Mom and Dad are coming over to take the foozball table from our apartment so we'll have more room for baby. I'm hoping to rearrange the baby's room one more time while they're here because I just don't like the layout and am really obsessed with it.

No comments: