Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not Columbus Day

Today was Ashley and Justin Day. I don't celebrate Columbus day because of his cruel treatment of indigenous people upon his discovery of the new world. I think that he was way more heinous than his discovery is celebration worthy, so there. Plus because of Columbus, Ashley's daycare was closed and since both of her parents work, they would have had to spend $150 for a babysitter for the day, which is f-ing ridiculous. Thanks a lot, Columbus. And, I digress...

I was lucky enough to get to spend the day with my godaughter, Ashley, and visit with my oldest friend, Christine, and her first born, Justin. Yay. So I went to Megan's bright and early. Ashley and I hung out and watched Sesame Street, and colored Obama logos with crayon, and then I played with her hair to see which hairstyle suited her best. What do you think? Hair down, one pigtail, or two pigtails. Is she squishy or what? Then I went to Christine's place for a play date. Don't we look mommy-like? This was my first play date EVER and the first time I had driven a car with a baby in it EVER. Even with these firsts, I felt no need to treat any indigenous folks with cruelty. See that, Columbus? How come I gets no holiday? Look at how Justin's cheeks have filled out. I love it! He was such a good boy, not a monster like his shirt says. Maybe because Christine is such a relaxed first time mom. She's the only first time mom that's bored, and not sleep deprived. That makes me hopeful. I hope I have the same problem.
We walked to the Wildflower cafe. Ashley proceeded to soak herself in the fountain. It turns out that I have a hard time telling her what not to do, so I let her play. Good thing I brought an extra dry shirt for her. I have a feeling that when I become a parent, I'll be one of those that can't say no. When they're as cute as Ashely, who wants to say no? I just want to be the favorite Aunty.The food was really yummy. Teeny got the Chicken Club Wrap with mixed greens. They put turkey bacon in it.I got the Wildflower Club which was a double decker monster. Ashley was not happy that I was keeping her from the fountain. Justin and Ashley fell asleep on the walk home. It was so fun to hang out with my friends and their babies during the day. That's the longest I've ever spent with a baby and been the sole person in charge. Except for exposing her to nuts for the first time (little bite of Nutella) and giving her an allergic reaction that made her mouth and cheek all red, I did alright. I wonder if Megan will let me babysit again....What if I promise to not feed her anything?I stopped by Deutsch on the way home because I'd never seen Cary's office before and it wasn't that far from Redondo. He was busy and it was fairly obvious I wasn't going to get any schmoopiness from him. So I went home. Today was a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for two pigtails!

Katy said...

Me too!