http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/publications/2008/Mapping_Irans_Online_Public
The title of the paper is Mapping Iran's Online Public: Politics and Culture in the Persian Blogosphere. You can download the PDF version of the entire paper at the link above.
It is for the Internet and Democracy Project.
The last line of the abstract says:"Given the repressive media environment in Iran today, blogs may represent the most open public communications platform for political discourse. The peer-to-peer architecture of the blogosphere is more resistant to capture or control by the state than the older, hub and spoke architecture of the mass media model."
I've only read a few pages so far (there are 68 pages total), but I found this interesting:
"Iranian bloggers include members of Hezbollah, teenagers in Tehran, retirees in Los Angeles, religious students in Qom, dissident journalists who left Iran a few years ago, exiles who left thirty years ago, current members of the Majlis (parliament), reformist politicians, a multitude of poets, and quite famously the President of Iran, among many others."
I have minimal literacy skills. When it comes to Persian reading and writing, I have the skills of a pre-schooler. I can write my name and know some of the alphabet and that's it. If I ever had a reason or motivation to dust off my old Persian school books, it would be to read these blogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment