Monday, February 4, 2008

Drawing at LACMA

Yesterday's drawing class focused on drawing the draping fabric on a body. We've mostly done drawings of naked sculptures, last week we focused on the face of a subject. This was the first time we focused on something inanimate. That's not really accurate to say. We were taught to draw the way the fabric reacts to the body underneath it. So everything we'd learned up till know still applied. Here is my point of view.
When you draw something, no matter how far away you are, you tend to draw a close up. This is what I tried to draw (below).
But this is what I actually saw (below). I took the picture above by zooming in. The one below is without any zoom from where I sat and drew.
David, our instructor, sat next to me and told me a few things to improve on. He told me to try to draw the head larger, I drew the head way too small (the sculptures version of the head is actually kind of big for a real head). Also I was having a lot of trouble with the hands. So he drew the skeleton of a hand and explained the mechanics of each bone interacting with each bone or tendon or muscle and how that effects the way the hand looks and should be drawn to get a more accurate likeness. I tried to take notes and drew a version of the human hand.
I also erased and re-drew the right leg. Can you tell?
If you ever have to opportunity to take a drawing class, or any class that teaches you something you've never done before, then go for it. Every Sunday I get 2 1/2 hours of meditative distraction. Not only does it make me happier, but it also makes me less angry about things I'm frustrated about. I get a shot at Zen every Sunday. It's usually my shot of Zen for the week.

No comments: