Thursday, January 24, 2008

Miso Black Cod

We usually order black cod at sushi joints and its so amazingly delicious, that we decided to try to make it ourselves. I didn't make the miso sauce from scratch like the recipe says to. I bought it at the Fish King in Glendale while I was getting my shellfish. I also bought a pound of black cod, also known as butterfish. It actually is not a cod at all. So I marinaded the fish for 2 days, the recipes said to marinade for 2-3 days. Then I took off the excess marinade and put it under the broiler. I used 2 recipes, one from Epicurus.com which I think is a recipe from Nobu and the other is from Jamie Oliver's book (aka the Naked Chef).
We put it in the broiler for 5 minutes. I was worried that I burnt it because the top part was really dark, but that part of the fish turned out to be the best part. We were itching to use our creme brulee torch, so I bought some butane for this special occasion. It worked out great because the tail part of the fish didn't get broiled evenly with the thicker part of the fish, so Cary torched it. The torching caramelized the sugar in the marinade and made it sweeter. The skin had soaked up the marinade and was so tasty.
Honestly, this was probably the best food that has ever come out of our kitchen. It tasted just like it does in the restaurants and was so easy and reasonably priced. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. You can make the miso sake marinade from scratch if you have the hoseleh.

No comments: