Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Ride Home

The ride home using the Gold Line, Purple Line, and 920 was a lot faster because I knew where to go, what to do, and had a day pass at this point. Be sure to read about the last leg on the 920 bus. It was the best part of my whole day's experience. So real quick, here is how it went:

5:30- Left work.
5:41-Arrived at Del Mar station to catch the Gold Line.
5:45- Gold Line arrives at station, I get on, it leaves immediately. I took some pictures of the trip.
Dodgers Stadium above where the palm trees dot the top of the hill.6:07-Arrived at Union Station

6:09-Arrived at Purple Line (all the signs pointed to the Red Line only, so you have to know the Purple Line starts at the same place)

6:11-Purple Line leaves for Wilshire and Western

6:24-Purple Line arrives at Wilshire and Western, which is the end of the line.

I walk up to the surface to catch the 920 bus and there was one waiting there, but I didn't take it because I wasn't 100% sure and couldn't find my day pass.

6:26-The 920 bus shows up. This was the best part, and last part of my journey. I get on the bus and ask the bus driver if he needs to see my pass or do I need to tap it on the console that says "TAP" (I thought it was magnetized). He watches me tapping my card and whispers as other riders scoot by to get a seat, "You don't need to tap it." To which I reply in a leaned-in whisper, "I've never done this before." To which he responds with a whisper of, "That's OK. Welcome!"

So I sit next to a youngish kid, and behind a mom with pixie pigtail buns and her cute hazel-eyed girl, and in front of a skater chic who bumped me by accident but was very sorry. A couple sat in the front of the bus, each in their own wheelchair. They were arguing and yelling at each other like Seinfeld's parents used to on the show.

So the bus driver gets on the intercom and asks, "How's everyone doing today? I'm sorry about the wait, but I'm glad you're all here. Isn't the weather nice today? We'll be at Fairfax real soon, don't worry."

Then he asks if the little girl is doing OK and if she wants to sing a song. Some people said yeah, so he starts singing "The wheels on the bus go round and round". After a couple lines, he stopped because no one was singing, but everyone was smiling or chuckling. It was really sweet.

6:40-Arrived at Wilshire and Fairfax. The weather really was perfect yesterday. I walked by LACMA and the La Brea Tar Pits on the way home. It was lovely.
7:00-Arrived at home
I love L.A.

1 comment:

roccodante said...

that is crazy. i mean its sounds like fun but that long just to get to a job and home? Crazy. One of the reason I am glad we live in Seattle. It takes Joe 9 minutes to get to work and it takes me 3 to 5 minutes to get to Mia's daycare which is 1.5 miles from our house. i went downtown today to the Nordstrom Flagship store to check out the sale and it took me 12 minutes and that was to the heart of Seattle, which is a small city, but still a city. We have a bus in front of our condo so if you and Cary want to rent Mias room you can use our public transporation. (: and work in downtown...lots of high tech jobs.

Talk to you later....wow...4 hours a day to commute...impossible if you ever have daycare..you have to be there at 5 pm sharp or they charge 1 dollar per minute.