Friday, May 30, 2008

Buongiorno Siena, Part Due

After dropping everything off at the hotel, we went into town. At the center of Siena is the Piazza del Campo.At the center of the Piazza is the Torre de Mangia seen here. The Torre de Mangia faces out towards a semi-circle. If you look at the top picture, the semi circle is partitioned into 9 sections. You can read all about this here. So we sat and had a drink and some bruschetta and just people watched for a while.
The streets in Siena are short, windy, and narrow. Its easy to get lost, but the town is so small that you can't stay lost for too long. If you can see the Torre, you can figure out where you are, sort of.
We wandered to the Duomo. The sky was really dramatic. I think it rained for a short while, but mildly. Cary took this shot of the window of the building across from the Duomo.

We wandered around some more. I got a scoop of gelato. It's just too good for pictures to convey. The arancia e cocoa was my all time favorite. Chocolate and orange deliciousness.We decided to try Osteria Nonna Ginea di Lella e Dado for dinner, which we found by chance. We chose wisely.We started with the antipasto Toscana.
I got the gnocchi, which turned out to be stuffed with a creamy cheasey goodness. So good. It was just, so good. When I asked what the sauce was made of, the waitress looked at me for a couple seconds and said if she told me she'd have to kill me. I think it was some sort of walnut and Gorgonzola sauce.
This is pici. So good. They make it fresh. I've never had pici here in LA, but now I will hunt for it. Something I noticed was that most dishes don't come with a side. It's just the entree and that's it. If we wanted any veggies it would be in the antipasti or ordered separate.

Also, there was no garlic to be seen. Not a clove in all of Italy up to this point.

The dinner was capped off by some limoncello and amaretto. It was really nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not order this pici. It looks like worms,which are still alive and active in your plate.

Katy said...

mmmmm...worms.