Here's one picture of my mom's sofre.
I had also planned to start with a post about chahar shanbeh souri and show pictures and explain how we used to do it when we were kids. Well chahar shanbeh souri should have been Tuesday night, but I was celebrating Cy's birthday and truthfully, I just completely forgot.
bad dokhtar Irooni! bad!
Tradition says that at the stroke of New Year, the people you're with, the health you're in, and the general state of you at that moment, is how you will be for the entire new year. So you always celebrate with family, wearing brand new clothes, eating sweets, kids get new money or gold coins from adults, and everyone's spirits are high.
So Shashar and Jack were supposed to be on a plane to Hawaii last night for her friend Orlena's wedding on Saturday, but their flight was canceled. So Cary picked them up from LAX and raced to my folks house and we were all together for the stroke of nowrouz before the clock struck 10:48. Funny how things work out.
When there are young kids in the family, its a lot more fun to celebrate traditions like chahar shanbeh souri and seezdah bedar. Sheila is our reason to get back into celebrating these traditions and step up our game. Back in the day, we'd go to Hess Park in PV and barbecue, eat ajeel, fly kites, play Frisbee, backgammon and dodge ball.
My resolution for next year is to grow my own sabzee, to celebrate chahar shanbeh souri, and put together a unique, modern, and personal sofre. Also, I would like to include all of my friends in this so they can enjoy the festivities.
1 comment:
Thanks for the pictures. I miss her so much!
Post a Comment