Monday, January 28, 2008

The Village Idiot

One of my favorite places to eat in LA happens to be up the street from where I live on the corner of Melrose and Martel. The Village Idiot opened about a year ago. I first tried it during the first week it opened and it was pretty crowded then and it was pretty crowded on Monday night when Cary and I went. Normally we go on a Thursday-Sunday, and its always packed and there is always a wait. So we always get a drink at the bar first.

The 2 owners must be the attractive bald guy and the guy that looks like Adrian Grenier because they are both there every time I've been there. They hustle the whole time, either hosting, serving, opening the door for people to come and go. I don't know if they've ever gone home or slept in the last year. One of these days I will let them know how much I love their eatery. We're there at least once or twice a month.

I can't call it bar food, that would be an injustice. They serve the BEST french fries I think I've ever had. Some of my favorites are the gnocchi (appetizer only), the fish and chips, the steak and ale pie, and the pub burger. The prices are very reasonable and they have nice wines, beers, and cocktails to choose from. A cute little dark lounge in the back area.

Cary gets the same thing every single time we go. He doesn't even look at the menu. Cornmeal crusted catfish with a black eyed pea succotash (pictured above). He makes love to the plate every time. I don't get jealous, he always shares.

Last night I got a bowl of steamed mussels and a side of Brussels sprouts (also picture above). I asked the waiter for the Jean Claude Van Dam and he laughed and asked what that was to which I replied the mussels and the Brussels sprouts. (Get it, the muscles from Brussels... ah? ah?) Cary made me do it.

Anyway, they were both really good. The Brussels sprouts were smokey because they were sauteed with these chunks of smoked bacon and really took on that flavor. The mussels were steamed in ale and came in a broth with leeks that were so good I wanted to stick my face in the bowl and slurp. The one down side is that everything is pretty heavy on the salt as far as what I'm used to eating. So I usually order another Guinness to wash it all down.

One of these days I'll save room for dessert.

No comments: