I'm a little behind on my posting...I'll start Friday night and work my way forward. Check back later for updates on Nenas and the Cyrus the Great fundraiser. I'm off to art class.
Friday night we went out to dinner to celebrate (more on that when things are good and done). We decided to go the The Bowery, which is just east of Sunset and Vine. This has been a favorite of mine since it opened over 2 years ago. Its a really small space, maybe 500 sq feet, long and skinny, and always packed for dinner. The walls are tiled like NY subway stations. The ceiling has that molded copper or tin plates. If you let yourself, you can kind of feel like you're not in LA. Until the blond with F-sized implants, platform white patent pleather thigh high boots, and a skirt so short you don't see how she's not flashing everyone just standing there (she must have used double sided tape to keep it in place).
I digress, back to the food. They have a nice choice of wines and beers on the chalkboard on the wall. Pabst Blue Ribbon for $4 is a contentious issue, apparently serving PBR in a can is cool, but charging $4 is a slap in the face to economics (Cary Ruby, 2008). Their menu is small, but pretty much everything I've tried is good. Except the Caesar salad, it was really heavy on the anchovy, though I know some people like it like that.
My absolute favorite is the braised short ribs. Its the ultimate comfort food, cooked in ale, they must slow cook this thing for a week. I didn't order it last night, I'm trying to eat lighter, so I had one of the salads that was a special for the night with asparagus, beets, hazelnuts, lentils and mixed greens.
I also had a few bites of Cary's burger. Wow. Now that is a tasty burger. The Bowery Burger comes on an English muffin, which might be a turn off to some. But if you think about it, it really makes sense. The English muffin is a lot less competitive than a thick bun and lets the sirloin burger meat really stand out. Cary was talking about how good the burger was the next day. No A1 sauce, ketchup, grain mustard or any kind of dressing was necessary. Although Cary did order it with blue cheese crumbles, it would have been good naked. We will be back next time we're hankering for a burger.
They also have some mean sweet potato fries. ooooooohhhhh. There's something so satisfying about sweet potato fries. I've also had their pan roasted chicken breast french dip, which is good but I wouldn't order it again unless they are out of burger or short rib, unless I'm trying to eat light and don't want a salad this time.
I also recommend the moulle frites, mussels steamed in some delicious goodness. I think their macarooni au gratin was good too, but I only had a bite of someones, maybe Shashar's, a long time ago.
If anyone goes there, or has gone there, please let me know what you thought.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment